Saturday, July 28, 2012

What Comes Next...

God has this great way of keeping us in suspense. We don't always get to know the plan far in advance, in fact, I would say we rarely do! But we know His plans are always good and right, because they are HIS!

It is hard for me to keep this in mind. A few things about me: I am very OCD, I love plans, and I love being in control. Great characteristics for a teacher, not so great for giving up control and trusting the Lord. And as far as my life plans are concerned, I will be the first to say my life has not gone as I had once imagined.

I attended a small, Christian college that is very marriage minded. Freshman year I thought I would meet the love of my life, date through college, and have a wonderful wedding after graduation! Then I would become a Christian school teacher in a small mid-west town, we would live in a precious little house, and live happily ever after. Yeah...this didn't happen.

Now this is not to say that I am not happy, because I am so thankful my life has gone the way it has. It just didn't go according to my 18 year old self's plan. I continued to make plans throughout college, plans to teach here, do this and that, live over there. Silly, silly me...

God must get so frustrated watching us try to control and plan out every aspect of life. I fried my brain and nerves trying to figure it all out. I should have relaxed and known that the Lord had an AWESOME plan for me!

This week marks one year of the three of us, Ryan, Julia, and myself, living here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh definitely did not even come into my brain until a few weeks before graduation! Scratch that: the entire eastern side of the country was not even a possibility to me! Now I am a resident of PA, teaching at an incredible school, and I've met the most incredible people. God works in the most phenomenal ways!

Since my dear roommate has gotten engaged, lots of people have asked me, "What are you going to do after she gets married?! What is next?!" They all seemed rather nervous, worried, or concerned for me. Well I've learned better. I'm not going to worry about it! God will lead me to where I need to be, to do what He wants me to do to better serve Him and His Kingdom. I am blessed to be teaching another year of 2nd grade at RTCS. What comes after that, I don't know! But I know God does and I have peace knowing that He is in control and He has something fantastic in store for me.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

            Matthew 6:25-27, 33-34




No comments:

Post a Comment