Monday, August 6, 2012

News Flash!

It's August.

When the heck did that happen?!

Last thing I remember is saying goodbye to my precious 2nd graders for what seemed like an incredibly lengthy summer vacation.

Now, it's August.

School starts in August...

...and when it does,  I will no longer be a first year teacher. I am so unbelievably excited to be able to say that! I have experience. Only a year, yes, but experience nonetheless.

I must say that this year, I feel a million times better about school starting. I know what is going on, the ins and outs of what my school does, I know what I want my room to look like and how it should function, and I also know exactly what I want to be teaching and how!

I'm a whole new teacher this year. It feels absolutely fantastic! I learned so much last year and have already done a good bit of work this summer to get myself ready.

A few things I am excited for in this coming school year:

1. Writing Center:  I want my kids to be challenged to become great writers and to really enjoy it, so I have researched and will be setting up an area in my classroom dedicated to all different types of writing.This gives my students time to practice, practice, practice!

2. Reading Corner: I'm going with a camping theme this year and I have some awesome ideas for decorating my classroom, especially the reading corner! I love reading and we do quite a bit of it in 2nd grade, so anyway I can encourage reading I am all for! If my idea works out, I'll be sharing!

3. New Year, New Kids, Same Curriculum: While it is a different year with new kids, I'll be teaching the same thing! I am so much more calm knowing what will be coming, how projects work, what I want to change, and what I want to do the same. This year will be infinitely easier, planning wise!

4. Confidence: I always doubt myself and worry about how I am doing, but this year I am feeling a hundred times better about myself! Given a year under my belt, I feel so much better about what I want to do and why. I've also learned that I am a bit of a kooky teacher...and I am embracing it full on :)

All in all, I am really excited for this school year! Not that I am rushing it coming, but when it does arrive, I am going to be brimming with 2nd grade excitement!

Also, pictures of my classroom will arrive as soon as it's all set up. Lots of work ahead!

Just a little teacher humor for ya :)

1 comment:

  1. You may consider yourself a "kooky" teacher, but that is what makes you so loved.

    ReplyDelete