Sunday, July 22, 2012

Book Worm

You know what I love? Books.

I have this deep seeded love for reading and books. It does help that I am a teacher so I am constantly surrounded by and working with books. However, my love for literature greatly extends outside of my classroom walls.

I am going to admit something to you now. I feel like I should perhaps be ashamed of it, but I'm really not.  I am actually quite happy about it! You ready? Alright, no judgement.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have bought somewhere around 70 books.

Yeeeaahhh...

Oops! I didn't realize it until a couple of months ago when I had to buy another bookshelf. It was that bad. I can't help it! Like I said, it's a deep seeded love!

Well with all this book buying going on and teaching going on during the year, I haven't had much time to enjoy my purchases! This summer I resolved to change this. I made up a summer reading list (nerdy, I know) and have been working on it since school let out.

I figured I would share some of my favorite reads as of late, some more recent books and other fantastic classics!

1. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand
This is the amazing story of Louis Zamperini, a World War II survivor that will hook you in and have you feeling like you are right there with the soldiers. I cried numerous times.

2. "Divergent" and "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth
If you have read "The Hunger Games", these books are right up that same ally.  The book is set in a fictional dystopian world, where people chose from 4 factions in which to live. Each faction has specific characteristics and helps society to function.
I really don't do justice in explaining it. Also, the third book isn't coming out until next year. It is KILLING me.

3. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini
These books were talked about quite a bit a few years ago. I just read it a few weeks ago and it was a phenomenal story looking into the lives of women in the middle east. The same author also wrote "The Kite Runner", another wonderful book!

4. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
This is terrible, but I didn't read this book until just a few weeks ago. LOVED it. An American classic that needs no explanation.

I realize I am no book expert, just a person who enjoys a great book! There are just too many books out there...I can't take not having the time to read them all! Currently I'm working at some Jane Austen and about to attempt Les Miserables.

So the point of this post and my teachery advice for you today? Go read a book! Original, I know :)












No comments:

Post a Comment