Sunday, July 15, 2012

Peace and Quiet

This post was actually written over a week and a half ago, when I was in WI, but I have been crazy busy and unable to post till now! So it's a little post from the past :) 

I was watching TV with my mom and dad last night when a delightful breeze came through the window. The smell of fresh cut hay wafted through the living room and my mom closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and says to me, "Mmm...hay! Just can't get that smell in Pittsburgh."

It's true! I have spent the past two weeks looking around me and having a renewed perspective on my hometown. My parent's house is surrounded by fields and woods. I spent last night just sitting and listening to the quiet. There were various insect noises, an occasional moo from a disgruntled cow, and every once and a great while a car will go by. For the most part, it was peaceful and quiet. Living in the country blesses you with lots of beautiful moments such as these.

In that moment I realized that more than anything, I need to take more moments like this for myself. In the crazy busy that is life, I don't take near enough time to pause and enjoy what is going on right at that moment, I'm always looking at what is next on my calendar.

Getting to spend 2 weeks back in Wisconsin gave me that time of peace and refreshment that I needed after a year of teaching and living in a brand new city. I spent lots of time catching up with family, laughing and crafting with friends, cuddling with cats, and enjoying the beauty that is Wisconsin.

I am spoiled in that I get the entire summer off. Don't worry, I have lots of work that I will be doing yet this summer. I'm not rushing off to it quite yet though. I have lots more of my summer to soak up and enjoy yet!

Members of the Ongna family playing corn hole

Taz, one of our many, many cats



No comments:

Post a Comment