Saturday, January 25, 2014

Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed.

It is the first word that came to mind as I was reflecting on my crazy week. Overwhelmed in every way you can imagine. Let me explain my week to you, dear friends.

My car has and continues to be a test of my patience. By the beginning of this week, I had made yet another call to a friend to pick me up for work because my car had, yet again, not started for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. I had reached the end of my patience and did what all mature adults do when confronted with difficult circumstance. 

I sat down and cried my eyes out.

Yep. I was that girl. I did not like having to call on friends again for a ride, I was sick thinking about how much money fixing this ongoing problem was going to cost, and I was simply frustrated that life isn't always a bowl of ice cream with fun sprinkles on top.

While I was bawling into my gloved hands I realized that I should be lifting this burden to the one who has offered to carry them for me. I prayed at that moment for guidance on how to handle this situation and for the Lord's care in finding a way to deal with this all.

I picked myself up, got to school, thanks to a dear friend, and was determined to have a good day. That morning as I opened my Bible to start devotions with my students, I found that it was open to James 1 where it says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

My heart was once again overwhelmed, this time with the reassurance that the Lord knows what my circumstances are and knows what I need and when I need it. 

The rest of my week proved that to be so true. My dear friend Heather let me stay at her house while my mechanic, her wonderful dad, worked on my car. They fed me, provided me with a room to stay in, and rides to wherever I needed. I received money from the dog sitting job I just happened to have while this all was happening. Other financial provisions were made from other situations as well. Then I had a fantastic night with amazing friends on Friday night, just what this extravert needed! When I got home, I had a package waiting for me from my old roomie, Julia.  Not to mention all week my coworkers were the most kind and considerate people to exist, asking me about what they could do for me, praying for me, and providing encouragement to my always struggling heart.

Overwhelmed...in the best sense of the word. While there are many things that are worse than a car breaking down, I realize, this was a big stress for me. The Lord provided for me in so many ways in such a short time that it is hard for me to even process. Obviously God provides for us each and everyday, but I tend to skim over that fact when things are going all fine and dandy. Then I have a nasty start to a week and God provides, yet again.

What a patience and loving God to continue to provide for us, even when we have weak hearts or don't thank Him near enough! A lesson I'm sure I will continue to learn through the rest of my days on this earth. I'll end with the lyrics to the song "Good to Me" by Audrey Assad that has been a huge encouragement to me:

I put all my hope in the truth of Your promise
And I steady my heart on the ground of Your goodness
When I'm bowed down with sorrow I will lift up Your name
And the foxes in the vineyard will not steal my joy

Because You are good to me, good to me

I lift up my eyes to the hills where my help is found
Your voice fills the night - raise my head up to hear the sound
Though fires burn all around me I will praise You, my God
And the foxes in the vineyard will not steal my joy

Because You are good to me, good to me

Your goodness and mercy shall follow me
All my life
I will trust in Your promise 




No comments:

Post a Comment