Monday, February 3, 2014

My Boys

Since I am a teacher and I've been back to blogging for a bit now, I guess it's about time I tell you about life in 2nd grade!

We're over half way through the year...crazy! How is it that life goes by so darn fast as adults?? Another topic for another day. Anywho, we have been cruising along, my boys and I. Yes, my class of all boys has made for a very interesting year! I have had boys each year I've taught, but never an entire class of them. Also, these boys are as boy as you can get. We have been working hard and having a fun year together! They have also been teaching me quite a lot.

Here is a bit of what I have learned spending my weekdays with my 2nd grade kiddos:

1. Boys have energy. A very different energy than girls. It's a--pound my lego creation into the ground then run around the room yelling and flailing arms around--energy. Not that that has ever happened in my classroom...

2.  Boys like doing boy things and to me, that's great! Today's society is so against boys being boys. How many stories have you read about innocent kids being suspended because of their rough playing? Ugh. Lots of boys like to play in dirt, fight the bad guys, and run around because God created them that way. I look for ways to make things educationally messy or energetic because I know these boys need and love that. I gave them a half hour of extra recess Friday...they seriously thought I was a superhero :)

3. Boys can have just as/more tender of a heart than a little girl. My boys have said some pretty darn sweet things to me throughout the year. And they are such gentleman! They hold the door open for me and try to be polite as possible. They also come to me with tears in their eyes when their feelings have been hurt. There is no doubting the love bursting from these boys.

4. Boys in adult like clothing just kiiiilllll me! Soooooo cute! I freaked out on them at the Christmas concert when they all came in ties. One of them was wearing  a bow tie. A BOW TIE! ON AN 8 YEAR OLD! And their giggles. It just tugs on your heart strings!

All in all, the year has been going really well. They challenge me in a whole new way, which, I am learning, is every class, every year. Teachers are always working on adapting, changing, and learning. Keeps it interesting, ya know! I'll finish my post with two delightful 2nd grade quotes. These boys say the funniest things...feeling blessed to be their teacher this year!

Me: How are the cookies?
Student 1: Good!
Student 2: Mine tastes flat.

You can't get old until you get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment