Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Pittsburgh Peeps



Last year, when Julia (my previous roommate and dear friend) told me that she was taking a job in Chicago, it was a bit rough for me. By "a bit rough" I mean hysterical crying in my childhood bedroom. I also realize that I am once again referencing me crying. That doesn't happen thaaaat often. I am emotionally stable, everyone.

Anywho, I don't deal with changes well. Big changes anyway. I had moved out to Pittsburgh knowing no one but my cousin Ryan and Julia, who were moving there with me. The 3 of us were the small town kids moving to the big city! We had a lot of big moments together, especially Julia and I since we lived together. We lived out on our own, really and truly, for the first time. She was my comfy and familiar in a place that was full of new. We did everything together and it was an awesome 2 years.

And next thing I know she was moving and getting married. Something I couldn't do with her. A weird feeling after two years of togetherness.

Needless to say, I was nervous about living in Pittsburgh without Julia. Who would I be friends with? Would my roommates even like me? Would I spend my nights sitting bored in the corner of my room?

I made an agreement with myself when I moved back to PA after a summer in Wisconsin that I would agree to everything I could the first couple of months so I could get out and meet people and do things! I mean, I knew people but I didn't have my comfort bubble.  I also prayed a whoooole bunch, knowing God wanted me here and to help me through the transition.

Well, as usual, God answered in a great way. The new teacher my school hired for this last school year is the same age as I am and we clicked immediately. Not to mention that the rest of my coworkers are fabulous people, people I consider friends first and coworkers second. Through church I have met a bunch of new and fantastic people who have also been wonderful and amazing and every other glowing adjective under the sun. And there are still tons of amazing people from the east side of the city from when Julia and I lived there. All in all, things worked out better than I could have hoped and no, I have not been sitting alone in a corner of my room!

Except now. Which is by choice. And because my car is broken down again. But let's not get into that!

So I want to say thank you to all my dear friends here in Pittsburgh. Living away from family and old friends is hard sometimes, but you have become my adopted family. You encourage me, love me, make me laugh, have me over, and even take care of me when things go wrong. I cannot imagine life without you all! Pittsburgh was never ever a thought in my head 3 years ago, but the Lord sure knew I needed all of you great people in my life. I may never be able to convey just how much you all mean to me and how much you have helped me grow into a somewhat mature and functioning adult. I really and truly love you so very much.

Also, I may or may not be tearing up...so much for the not crying often part...


*Pictures of a few of the many wonderful people I know


 



No comments:

Post a Comment