Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Yes, I used a Beach Boy's song lyric as my title. I love them. I'm alright with admitting that. Plus, I kept thinking to myself "Wouldn't it be nice if time on the weekends went slow?" Thus my title choice.

This past weekend I got a great visit from the parentals. It was awesome to have them around and to show them around town. Now that we've lived here for almost 2 months (crazy!) we actually know where some good spots to see, eat, and visit are at! We are pretty good hosts, I must say. If you visit, you get a whole basement for your leisure, including an air mattress. Plus, we will most likely feed you. You have better chances if you bring food and/or gifts. We aren't greedy, just poor!

School has been great! I feel very used to the schedule and the students have gotten very comfortable with me as they have gotten to know me. The downside is now that they feel more comfortable, they try to get away with more. Today was a battle from the get go, and it ended up being a rough day. However, these days happen more often, and I have to learn to deal with them. Overall though, its been a great few weeks and I am excited for the rest of the year!

Here are some funny 2nd grade tidbits from the week:
  • Today during our grammar lesson, students had to come up with sentences and here was a particular one that I enjoyed! "Miss Ongna and I went to Wisconsin and got 10 monkeys." Rather clever, although monkeys aren't exactly native to Wisconsin...I informed them of this. 
  • No 2nd grader can say the word "indivisible". This makes listening to the Pledge of Allegiance rather amusing! :) 
  • I was called the best teacher ever. Given this isn't true, but its still a self-esteem booster! This could have been a result of my math lesson in which they used M & M's to count...nothing like chocolate to get you the best teacher ever vote!
 All in all, its been a great month and a half in Pittsburgh. God is good, school is crazy, and life is wonderful. Now its off to more planning. It never ends...

My parents and I on Mount Washington. My dad isn't a picture guy :)

Ryan enjoying the view of the city.

2 comments:

  1. Another thing to add--few teachers can spell "leisure" correctly. ;)
    Very cool, though. I'm enjoying keeping up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh i am missing you and your fun life.

    ReplyDelete