Monday, September 26, 2011

The Unexpected

I was always told during my education classes to be prepared for anything, that the unexpected will happen. Well, that was pretty much the story of last week!

It started with a student rushing out of the room because she had to throw up. I left to check on her, leaving my students to their reading. Then a bit later, another girl asks to go to the bathroom and comes back squealing/screaming. She informs me there is a giant spider in the bathroom. I then proceeded to get my students working on something else while I then went to the bathroom to kill said spider. I return to gather up the sick student's work and talk to a parent and send her off. When I finally get back to my class, I look at the clock to see it is lunch time. Not the most productive of mornings, however, my students were extremely well behaved considering the circumstances, and for that I was thankful.

This week also provided some more funny moments. These moments seem to always come just when I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed about something! God's wonderful comedic timing.
  • One of the girls told me she had a secret question she had to ask me. She whispers in my ear, "What do you do when you have a crush on a boy?" Not expecting that. I told her we would discuss it later when we had more time to talk. Fortunately, she forgot about it! 
  • My lone boy walked up to my desk during silent reading time. He leans on my desks and says, "Have you ever had wine Miss Ongna?" I had no clue where this came from. I said "Well, yes I have. Why?" He thinks for a moment and says, "I just wasn't sure you were old enough." He then walks away. 
  • A student hands me a note with my name written in a heart, spelled "Miss Onghgoh". It was precious. A lesson in writing dutch last names is coming soon! 
School has been chaotic, crazy, and wonderful. I love my job. Have I said that before? I may sound like a broken record, but I can't imagine doing anything else. Though it is sometimes hard to be away from home, especially when missing out on things, I know I am where I am suppose to be. It is so reassuring to know that and to feel God's love and presence around me, especially when I'm feeling down.

If you could also pray for my class, we are having some rather strange/potentially serious health issues come up. I can't be anymore specific, but please pray that my students stay as healthy as they can and that I know how to handle it all. It is nerve racking when issues like this come up. All I can do is pray for the strength and knowledge to deal with it all. All in God's plan!

Psalm 56:12-13 "God, I must keep my promises to you. I will give you my offerings to thank you, because you have saved me from death. You have kept me from being defeated. So I will walk with God in light among the living."

1 comment:

  1. we definitely missed you in oostburg this past weekend, but it wasn't the same without you! love you lady :)

    ReplyDelete