Sunday, September 11, 2011

Reflection

This past weekend, I've spent a lot of time reflecting. Not only on my past 2 weeks of teaching, but on the past years of my life, especially seeing as today is September 11. It is crazy to look back those 10 years and see where I was then compared to now. Back then I was an awkward 7th grader at Oostburg Christian school, trying to fit in and figuring out my place in life, when this tragedy hit our nation. Now I am a 2nd grade teacher living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, watching videos and news reports on what has happened in those 10 years. It is amazing to see how God works throughout good and hard times to have His will and good accomplished. We can forever trust in Him and know He has a plan for our lives. How amazing is that?

Speaking of my childhood, I am super excited for next weekend because my parents are coming to visit! I am especially excited because my dad hasn't been out here yet. When we moved out here, he was busy on the fields, so he was unable to come. Julia, Ryan, and I have been planning out some things to do while they are out here. We are excited for some familiar faces and for awesome care packages from home, including some great Wisconsin cheese! (finally! cheese here cannot compare.)

I am looking forward to this first full week of school too. It really cements in the routine and it has become more fun to teach as I've gotten to know each student. Here are some highlights of the past school week:
  • Hugs from my students. Best thing ever! It is wonderful to know you have established that relationship and your students like you as well.
  • My one boy in my class always comes up to me in the morning before school and we have a 5-10 minute chat. I enjoy it so much because often the girls tend to overwhelm him, so he is more hesitant often times. He is unbelievably precious and I so enjoy that time. 
  • The other morning, one of the girls came to school with her backpack soaked from her lunch having leaked. As soon as she discovered this, she grabbed her lunch box, thrust it in the air and exclaimed, "Curse you ramen broth!" I laughed a little on the inside, then quickly took care of the leaky situation. No worries! 
  • I asked my students the other day what they're favorite part of 2nd grade was, and they were all shouting out different subjects. I told them that my favorite part was them! One girl then said to me, "I would have said you Miss Ongna, but that would be cheating!" :)
As you can see from reading, I have been so blessed with a wonderful class. They teach me new things everyday and I love this job. Yes, some days are more challenging than others, but I wouldn't want to switch jobs for anything in the world. God has led me to this place, this time, this job, and I am grateful and comforted by that. I thank God for each of you who continue to pray for me, Julia, and Ryan, and I pray for you also.

"Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever" Psalm 23:6


My class! This describes their personalities so well! Also, it was mis-match day, thus the crazy outfits. :)

2 comments:

  1. ah this is wonderful! great post. i love the part especially about the lone ranger boy in your classroom - what a brave soul. i would totally be a second grader again if you were my teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curse you ramen broth!! Haha I'm gonna use that all the time.

    ReplyDelete