Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Thankful December

I realize I am quite behind the times with this thankful list. November is the thankful month, seeing as it holds the beloved holiday that is Thanksgiving. Well, I didn't quite get my act together to have this ready in time. Also, why not be thankful in December? Or all year round! That is what I say to students so I may as well break off and use a piece of my own advice. So, as we finish off 2012, here is a list of some of the many, many things that I thankful for and have been blessed with.
  1. Communication devices: While I love where I live and the people here, I live around mostly new people, which means all my family and friends from home and from college live in a bunch of other states. This means I use my computer and cell phone frequently to chat. It is amazing to be able to text a quick hello or joke to a friend across the country, 2 time zones behind me! And boy does she love those texts at 4 am her time!
  2. Wisconsin: The love I have for my home state has only been magnified since I left it. I calculated the other day that I haven't lived there consistently in 6 years. Wow! But I always love to go back for holidays and visits. WI is a beautiful place and is filled to the brim with people I love! It will always be home.
  3. Books: I realize I talk about books a lot. I'm sorry if I bore you with my limited interests. I'm not really though. Who doesn't love getting sucked into a great book?! This past week I read 4 books, all part of a series. I was addicted. I sacrificed precious sleep. I whipped my hair into a ponytail just to get in 10 minutes of extra reading time in the morning. I have a problem, I know. I am not willing to give up my addiction anytime soon though, so there's no use arranging the intervention.

  4. Hot showers: The only thing that can take the sting out of waking up at 5:20 every morning is knowing that a delightfully hot shower will be waiting for me. Helping me to not only stay clean but to contemplate life. I make some pretty solid life decisions at 5:30 am.

  5.  My coworkers: I can't even begin to tell you how fantastic the people are that I work with. They are amazing teachers who all have such a zeal and passion for what they do. Whenever I need an idea, am struggling with a problem, or just want to share an adorable story, they are always there. I cannot imagine going through my first few years of teaching without them.
  6. Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing: This is strange. Don't worry, I realize too. One of my roommates from college and I both had a love for this delicious and random food item. So, this post is for you, Tasha! It is yummy, yummy, yummy! Also, this dressing is not available in PA. Sadness. I'll just have to continue to import it from the west.
  7. Family Dinners: While I was back in WI, I realize how much I like my family as well as love them. I got to get together with several different parts of my relation, including the always hilarious Voskuil/Beezhold clan. I don't know if you can fathom how much laughter can occur in a couple of hours. I was literally in pain. It is the best feeling ever.
  8. The Farm: My parents are farmers, thus they live on a farm. Or is it they live on a farm, thus they are farmers? Huh. Profound, I know. Either way, I didn't appreciate this fact as much when I was growing up. This past Thanksgiving, I hung outside with my dad for a bit just petting the steers and walking around. I love everything about it: the smells, the cows, the absolute beauty, and the hard work that has gone in there. I couldn't be more proud to be the child of an incredibly hard working dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment