Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Day in 2nd Grade!

Alright, it has been a while since I've posted. This would be why. I've been working on this post when I've had free moments and I am finally done! I've written out a rough outline of a typical school day in my classroom. I've had a good deal of people ask me what my day is like, so I figured I would write it all out for ya!

If you are completely uninterested in reading my mini-novel, I take no offense. Skip away! If you are interested, I hope you enjoy a peek into my classroom. Believe me when I say that I really enjoy my days and it is fun to get to teach so many subjects in one day! The big pro of being an elementary teacher.

This day, to get specific, would be a Tuesday. I realize it doesn't matter to you but I need to include it because I need to. Yes, I have slight OCD. It's fine.

7:10- I arrive at school, put graded papers into student mailboxes, write the schedule on the board, and get my things arranged for the morning.

7:40- Head down to the office to check my mailbox, make copies, and make my tea (Tazo Passion is my favorite at the moment...SO good!)

7:50- Students begin to arrive at school and they hand in their homework, which I check and file.

8:20- School begins! Students take their seats and we do devotions and calendar time.

8:40- We start spelling: everyday is a spelling test on 24 words, then I teach 6 new words.

9:15- Language begins. We label our sentences: subject noun, verb, adverb, adjective, article adjectives, preposition, object of the preposition, and subject/predicate. There is also time for a quick lesson on quotation marks. "I love language!" said the 2nd graders.

9:45- Just enough time for everyone's favorite: Rocket Math! Students are each on a level and need to write in 40 facts correctly in 1 minute to pass to the next level. They practice orally with each other then move on to the timed test.

10- Music! We line up and I bring the students down to the music room. During this time I make copies, check and return school emails, and work on lessons for the rest of the week. Chatting with other teachers and my principal can also occur during this time :)

10:30- I pick up my students from music class and head back to our room for math. A lesson on adding double digit numbers is up for today! I introduce the topic, explain the strategy to adding the ones and tens, then we move on to practicing on personal white boards. Once we are all on board the students grab their math books and rip out their worksheet for today's lesson. Work time!

10:55- We wrap up and clean up, then pray before we head down to the lunch room for lunch. I head back to my classroom to enjoy some lunch!

11:25- Lunch is over and I head down to pick up the kids. Lots of hugs greet me from various students, current and previous, while we line up to head down to our classroom to grab coats and line up for recess.

11:30- The kiddos head outside for recess while I head to the chalkboard. I write up the afternoon schedule, get my things in order for the afternoon, and snag a quick run to the bathroom. I also stop by the 1st grade teacher's room to chat about field trip plans, upcoming events, and other random news.

12:00- Recess is over and I can hear the kids outside the doors! I take my students into my room and they get settled. I then start to read from "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator", our latest read aloud book. Read aloud time is a big hit and there is always begging for more!

12:15- We finish up our reading and line up to head down for bathroom and drink time.

12:25- As the students get settled, we begin reading. Students take out their reading books, we begin by discussing the topic of kindness and I introduce ideas, vocabulary words, and any other information needed. Students then split off to read the story and complete a worksheet to check their comprehension. Discussion takes place after as we wrap up.

1:25- After reading is finished, we keep plugging right into Bible. We head to the table in the back of our room. I tell the story verbally and students listen, with questions and discussion after. We often times have phenomenal discussions on some pretty tough subjects. Bible ends with a worksheet that could be a crossword, questions, or an art activity of sorts.

2- On to science! This the favorite subject for most, thus a great subject for the end of the day! We have been studying the states of matter and start out with a discussion of what we have learned in the previous lessons. We then jump into an experiment on the weights of solids, liquids, and gases. We hypothesize and test various object weights against others. We then layer liquids in a beaker with the tradition density experiment! A total hit. Lots of "woahs" and "cool"!

2:35- The final chunk of the day. Silent reading time! Students all grab a pillow and a mat and snag a spot in the room to read silently to themselves. One student gets to take their turn on the green reading chair. This time is incredibly silent and the students loooove it! So does Miss Ongna :)

2:50- The school day is over and we pack up and head out! The end of the day also includes thumb high fives and, on Fridays, we do a Friday dance. Yep. You read that right. Friday dance. We have a great time in 2nd grade! It is great to spend each day like this. I am spoiled :)

No comments:

Post a Comment