Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fun and Games and Willy Wonka!

I don't remember a whole lot from when I was in 2nd grade. I do remember some things crystal clear, such as the sunflower field trip to my teacher's house, the Tom Turkey play, "flying" to Mexico, and, of course, the cheese sandwich incident. (If you haven't heard that story, just ask any of my classmates from that year, including my roommate and cousin, and they could tell you. It has followed and haunted me ever since!)

This makes me realize that my students aren't going to remember every single thing that happened in 2nd grade. I also realize that doesn't mean that what we do everyday isn't important--I am preparing them for the next step in their education, each grade building on the next! But it also brings to my attention that kids remember the crazy things, the fun things, and the times when school was just the best!

Don't get all worried now, I don't spend all day playing games with my students, watching movies, and just goofing around! I do, however, look for ways in which I can make learning exciting, interesting, and captivating. Sometimes, concepts just need to be taught and there isn't a rip roaring, exciting way. Other times, I can get creative and do something like hide different words that make up sentences around the room and make my students find and create a silly sentence. I love that I get a chance to make learning fun and exciting for them! Often times that means being absolutely ridiculous, dressing up as Willy Wonka, and speaking in crazy voices. God definitely equipped me with the right personality for the job!

Lots of people ask me if I am a fun teacher and I tell them, I try to be! But I also hope that beyond the fun they are learning a whole bunch about themselves, the world around us, and they God who created it all. That is my ultimate goal. I continue to pray that they reach this every single day.

I now leave you with some pictures AND a video! My students just finished a unit studying fairy tales, so they wrote their own reader's theater and then performed it, using items around our classroom for props. It is awesome! I love their creativity. Such an amazing group of kids :)

To practice using "spicy" adjectives, the students chose an adjective, then illustrated it on a pumpkin!

Our rapidly growing bookworm! Each segment has a title of a chapter book on that the students have read.


Book Character Dress Up Day!

Since I went as Willy Wonka, I HAD to give my students "Wonka" bars with golden tickets inside!






2 comments:

  1. LOVE this. We are starting to read Charlie and The Chocolate Factory this week in my room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favorite read alouds ever! SUCH a good choice :)

      Delete