Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fruity Fractions

Math was a subject that I did not like at all throughout my school days. Whether it be grade school all the way through college, I never ever liked math. I actually somewhat upset a professor once with my dislike for math. On the first day of our teaching math course in college, he asked us to honestly tell him how we feel about math. I told him I did not like it all, not one bit. He mumbled something, gave me a weird look and moved on quickly.

With that being said, I have worked hard this year to make math as enjoyable to my students as I can, seeing how much I disliked it. I've actually found I really love teaching math! There are concrete answers, with concrete methods to come up with those answers. Plus you can use a ton of manipulatives to aid in your teaching.

Well we have just been studying a chapter in math on geometry type content, 2 and 3 dimensional shapes, vertices, angles, etc. Our last few lessons we have been dipping into fractions. When you study fractions OF COURSE you have to have pizza of some sort to help you get the picture. So I brought in the ingredients for fruit pizza. Yum! We talked about how many lines of symmetry a circle has, how we could split up this pizza into equal parts for each person in our class, and how much each person would get. It was a delicious and fun lesson! Plus fruit = healthy. Win/win.



Here is the super easy recipe for those of you who would like to make your own fruity fraction pizza!

1 roll of sugar cookie dough (I buy this pre-made at the store, for convenience)
1 8 oz. container of cool whip
1 3 oz. package of cream cheese
Various fruit cut up into bite size pieces

Simply spread out the cookie dough on a pizza pan sheet and back at the temperature given on the package. Bake until slightly golden brown.
Mix the cream cheese and cool whip together, then spread on cooled cookie dough crust. Then top with your favorite fruit in whatever pattern you so choose! For our fruit pizza, I used pineapple, kiwi, and blue berries. Its fun, delicious, and somewhat nutritious! Enjoy!

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I share your dislike of math. Maybe if I had a math teacher like you I wouldn't have.

    ReplyDelete