Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The real deal.

Today was my very first day of school. As the teacher, that is. Much, much different when you are the teacher compared to the student, just in case you were wondering! I have never talked so much in my life, which may seem crazy for me, but I think its true! Either way, its was a great day. I should start from my first meeting of my students though...

I got to meet my students and some of the parents at the open house our school had this past Monday night. It was awesome to see the kids so excited and to meet their families. The parents were SO gracious and wonderful, giving me lots of support and being sure to offer me lots of prayers and thoughts as I headed into my first week. To me, this means so much, and I was beyond grateful!

So, as we move into today, let me just reiterate that I have 7 girls. 1 boy. That boy is so, so brave. These are some of the girliest girls I have ever encountered. They are so sweet and full of energy, but oh so girly. The great thing is, they are all relatively excited for school and that makes me excited to teach them! Today my plan was to have a ton of activities planned and just plug them in as I go. It worked! I made it through the day, and my students even learned some things! I know, crazy, my students learning something at school!

The highlight of my day though was definitely our Bible lesson for the day.

The Bible curriculum starts at the beginning of the Bible, going over the creation story, along with Adam and Eve sinning. Today we watched a video of the story, then I brought out an empty shoe box, and told them they need to make something out of what was in the box. They couldn't make anything, which I then compared to God making our whole world out of nothing. Well, out of these activities sprouted questions like "Did God have parents? Who made him? What existed before God? Will we all be old or young in heaven?" I was beyond excited! They were all discussing and asking these fantastic questions, and I was trying to answer in the best way I knew how. It was amazing to discuss these topics with 2nd graders! So awesome and powerful to see God working in these young children. Just as I was getting really into it, a precious girl raises her hand and says in the most serious of voices, "Miss Ongna, will there be nail polish in heaven?" I couldn't help but smile.

All in all, it was a crazy day with lots of learning taking place for both the students and myself, however, I loved it and God has definitely led me to the right profession. I have been praying for the past weeks that I would be able to do this job and I have definitely felt your prayers as well. Now its time to go plan for day 2! I feel as though I may never get ahead!

Also, to all my former teachers...thank you for doing what you do/did! I realize now how much time and energy goes into each day. A special thanks to my own 2nd grade teacher, who put up with quite a bit from me in particular. Mrs. Hendrikse, I'll eat an entire cheese sandwhich this weekend just for you! :)

A picture of downtown Pittsburgh, and also a chunk of the part I drive everyday. I drive on the yellow bridge, called the Fort Pitt Bridge. It lead right into the Fort Pitt Tunnel. I also drive through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel.While the drive is long, it is absolutely beautiful to drive around downtown, especially for a girl from the country!

A picture in the tunnels. Not sure which one it is, but it was from the Bolkema's and I's trip to PA in July. Yes, that is Mom and Dad B in the picture!  People drive through the tunnels and freak out, so there is always traffic right before the tunnels. Not fun, but oh well!

1 comment:

  1. oh the cheese sandwich story. it keeps on giving and giving.

    ReplyDelete