Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crazy Days and Fridays

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you felt like you spent every day running around just trying to keep your head on straight? This past week was one of those for me.

We've been starting practices for the school's spring production. This year they are doing 101 Dalmatians. The elementary school students have some practices during the day, which makes the school days crazy. I am helping out which has been fun to get to know a bunch of the students and use my crazy high school experiences with drama.

Friday was an especially crazy and fun day because it was pajama day! The students came decked out in the pajamas holding blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals. I was a huge fan of this day simply because I got to wear my pajamas too. When it comes down to comfy pants and a bath robe vs. tights, a skirt, and a sweater, I'll go with the comfy ensemble any day!

To add to the craziness of pajama day, we also had a fuzzy party. My students earn pom pom (or fuzzies as we call them) for their good behavior. The jar was filled so we had a little party, with a movie and a treat. I went to the library Thursday night and picked out this incredibly cool deep ocean video with amazing clips of different animals. I knew my students would like it. Within a minute or two of watching it, I started hearing some complaints about the movie being boring. I told them to give it a chance, and just a few minutes later my entire class, myself included, was staring at the TV, accompanied with sounds of "ooooo!" "oh my look at that!" "that is so cool!"  It was awesome to see them getting into it, to really marvel at the amazing creation God has made, annnnd to admit that I was totally right about the movie! :)

Of course, the day wasn't crazy enough, so I just had to go and thrown in some shaving cream in the mix. Yes, I said shaving cream. For math. Why? Because I'm crazy, plus it was just too cool to pass on doing. I was a bit scared of how it would turn out, but my students did really well! They spread shaving cream on their desks and wrote out their double digit subtraction problems in the shaving cream. Needless to say, they did quite enjoy it! It was so fun! The clean up, not so fun, but it was totally worth it.

All in all, it was a crazy day and week. Friday I was falling asleep by 9 or so.  No worries, I made up for it by staying out late Saturday. And by late, I mean 10:30. I know, I should learn to reign it in a little. What can I say, the life of a teacher is a crazy one!


Using some mad math skills!

1 comment:

  1. staying up all the way to 1030 on a saturday night!??! WOAH NELLY EASY THERE!!

    ReplyDelete