Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christian Education

I have been blessed in my life to be able to receive a Christian education my whole life, starting in kindergarten all the way through college. I don't like to have the arguments with people about Christian school versus public school education, but I believe whole heartedly in Christian education. I am also teaching at a Christian school, and today I had another moment of strong reaffirmation of why I love teaching at a Christian school and why I believe in Christian education.

This morning we started our day with devotions, as we always do. The devotion was about asking God for forgiveness. I read the devotions and talked about some ideas and thoughts I had. Usually I ask a few questions or we discuss for a bit, then move on to prayer requests. One of my students had their hands up, so I called on her. She then asked me this question, "How does God decide who doesn't go to heaven?" I was slightly taken aback. It was a great question, but being a teacher or anyone in a position where you are asked a question such as this, you realize how careful you need to be with your answer.

I explained that God chooses the people He loves and loves him back, who accept Jesus as their Savior and who confess that they are sinners and do wrong. Once I answered, a couple more hands went up. We ended up having a 15 minute conversation about how a person goes to heaven, who God saves, and how we can be sure we are saved. I also feel as though I may not be adequate in answering their quesitons, but I sent up a quick prayer to be able to answer to the best of my abilties!

This is one of the many reasons why I love teaching at a Christian school. It was amazing to see these young kids faith just shining, and their genuine and deep questions about God and Christianity. I am so appreciative that I can take the time to discuss these things with my students, and thankful that God has blessed these students with the ability to think about these things and express them to me. God is in every aspect of life, and to be able to emulate my Christian faith in every aspect of my teaching is a huge blessing, and is why I absolutely, positively love this job. 

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10:14-15

3 comments:

  1. ahhh i want to love a job as much as you do! this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy and I feel so blessed that you are teaching/leading Hannah the way you do. We are also so extremely thankful for RTCS and all of the faculty/staff there. You are doing a great job! Thanks, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I witnessed this and you did a wonderful job. They are so curious. RTCS is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete