Saturday, November 5, 2011

Time Flies

The beginning of November means that I have been here in Pittsburgh for 3 months. 3 months! I can barely believe it, and time just keeps flying by. In that time I've settled down into a house, started my teaching career, and done lots of other grown up stuff that includes the words insurance, credit, and pension. Fun stuff.

Some signs of settling in? It has become infinitely easier to find things around here. I can actually get around without my gps! Huge feat. Except if I am going somewhere totally new, then I haul the trusty guy out. But I can recognize roads and such now which is a big deal, especially in these crazy hills. It is also delightful for people to talk about towns and roads and be able to actually nod in agreement, not just to look polite but because I actually know where they are talking about. "That Giant Eagle down Rodi Road?" Yep. Totally know where that is. (Thats Rodi with a long i. I botched that one up bad and got quite a few laughs.)

During this time of crazy changes, there have been lots of people who have made it so much easier. Perhaps none more than 2 people in particular--Julia and Ryan. As the story goes, Ryan and Julia accepted jobs here in early May at the same school. I was struggling to find a position and received news of the job I have now from some family friends. (Thanks Tammy!!) I applied and got this job in the beginning of July and moved out here with Ryan and Julia.

I have known Ryan my whole life, seeing as we are cousins, and I have known Julia since 2nd grade when she moved to WI and came to Ryan and I's class. We have been each other's support systems and social lives while figuring out life here in PA. It has been so much easier adjusting when you have people there to explore with you and to have little pieces of home. I love these 2 a whole lot and we have had a great time so far. I am so so thankful that God placed us all out here together. I can't even imagine what doing this alone would be like.

Perhaps the funniest part of the 3 of us coming out here together is people's faces when we explain our story. They are totally flabbergasted to find out that the 3 of us went to school together since 2nd grade, except when Julia went to Trinity. But Ryan and Nicole went to the same college. And Nicole and Ryan are cousins. And we are all from the same tiny town in Wisconsin. And all got jobs in Pittsburgh. Yep, small world :)


No comments:

Post a Comment