Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Feels Like Home to Me

I don't know how many of you knew my grandma, Sarah Ongna, but she was an amazing woman. I spent almost everyday of my childhood with her. She was a gifted housewife and could make the most amazing homemade raisin buns you have ever tasted in your life! I was blessed to be able to learn how to sew and bake from her. She was on my mind quite a bit this weekend, as I got to catch up on my baking and even get in some sewing for a project I'm working on. It was wonderful! Therapeutic even. Here's a picture of one of my creations of the weekend--homemade applesauce. Yum!



Having Monday off has made me crave a longer break. Julia and I are starting to feel a bit stretched and burnt out. Plus there is just something about home. I am quite close with my family, including my extended family, and I can't wait to see them. Although this weekend Julia's family is coming to visit and I am pumped! I love the Bolkema family, and they have become like an adopted family through the years. So excited! Plus, our house will be full of people, which we love!

This past weekend, Julia, Ryan, and I went to some friends' house for supper and hanging out. We had a blast, laughing and discussing differences between PA and WI. Last time we hung out, Ryan fried out for us, and we taught them how to make an "Oostburger". For those of you who don't know, an Oostburger is a brat and a hamburger on the same bun. They loved it. It was awesome to bring a bit of home here to PA :)

Well got a little sentimental there. I blame it on the fact that I was in Michael's (yes, the craft store) the other day and I hung around the Christmas decorations a little too long. Got me all mushy inside. Anyways, school. School is good! We did some fun activities today including making fossils from plaster of paris. Very messy, very fun, and very worth it. I love hands on projects. Definitely my favorite!

I have to end with telling you about how BEAUTIFUL Pennsylvania is in fall. PA is full of trees and forests and the colors are in prime changing mode right now. I tell my kids every morning to look out the window and just admire the beauty of God's creation! So here are some pictures for you to enjoy a little PA beauty for youself :)

The playground area of my school. So beautiful!


Out and about for a drive. Please take notice of a.) the beautiful trees   b.) the crazy windy roads.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay I feel your pain. When I was in Spain I would get all sappy in the convenience stores because they had Doritos and Oreos and those reminded me of home. So getting sappy in the Michael's Christmas section is completely acceptable.

    ReplyDelete