Monday, January 21, 2013

Back to the grind!

Routine is what most people thrive on, especially kids, most especially me! Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays, fun random events, and other rather interrupted and spontaneous things, but when it comes down to the day-to-day, I LOVE me some routine!

When January rolls around, I know that I am ready after the craziness of the holidays to get back to the normal routine of school. We've been in school for a bit already and have been cruising on! So much has happened already! I also discovered some pictures from before Christmas too. I'll be giving you an update through all my pictures I came upon.


For a lesson on evaporation, I had my students "paint" my chalkboard. By paint I mean use water with paint brushes! After I explained the activity, the students looked at me, shocked, and said, "Really?!" We discussed and observed and learned all about evaporation! 


On this day, I snagged some laptops and got my students working on a website, scholastic.com. This website has TONS of resources for teachers, students, and parents. I found a cool little program called "Story Starters" that has fun little prompts to making your own story. A great way for the students to have fun writing and work on using a computer! 


These two pictures are from our class Christmas party. Look at all that red and green! So adorable! For my students' presents this past year, I made them letter pillows again, the first letter of their first name. They are also holding the sock snowmen they made that day! They were super cute. Such a fun time of the year!



These next three pictures are from a science lesson on the moon's phases. I snagged the idea from the 5th/6th grade teacher at my school who posted it on Facebook after finding the idea on the internet. The students carved the various phases into oreos, then labeled them and put their "moons" into the correct order. We resisted and only ate a few of our leftovers! A yummy science lesson!





I was talking with a coworker the other day and said to her, "Teaching is the only profession that you can dress up looking absolutely ridiculous and crazy and people will tell you you are awesome at your job!" On this day our school had tropical day...in the middle of January. We dressed up in our warm weather gear and pretended we were near a beach!


Speaking of dressing up all crazy like, here is another picture! Last week we hit a milestone, 90 days completed in school--half way through! In 2nd grade, we celebrated by dressing up in halves, naturally. I had waaaaay too much fun with this! My students also greatly enjoyed it. Lots of PJ's! We had some snacks, watched some Magic School Bus, and enjoyed walking around school in our crazy outfits! I also decorated our door with streamers, which you can see in the background. Who doesn't love running through streamers every time they walk through a door?!
 https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=77a88ad2bb&view=att&th=13c58e263133e9a4&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1424701000865808384-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_kfS241Endd8gWGs_bm2bf&sadet=1358819145097&sads=VyXfq80mM7g8aa11ko8vZmrYLdE


No comments:

Post a Comment